07 December 2009

Hey Paris and London, you're not so bad!

Paris // London


If you asked me a year ago if I'd go to Paris when I'd be in Rome, I would have snapped back a confident, 'Y.E.S.'. But...since being here, I realized I'd have to give up some trips because it's just not that practical. Then I thought, pshhht [+ shoulder shrug], it's probably OVERRATED ANYWAY.

Laura was probably our best trip planner / flight booker. When she suggested a trip to France and England over Thanksgiving break, I was all over it. It ended up being a short (only a day and a half) stay before we left for London.

Paris is so soso soososososo beautiful. I never understood the huge draw to the language, or why the city is supposedly so romantic. I get it. Please visit this city. This is a place everyone I know who's been there just adores. It's so magical. So many lights, pastries, museums, and black boots (fashion is superb- the posh women wear all black. Black boots, black tights, black/gray coat).

I can't forget to say the best part of the story part one- Karen bought the wrong flight ticket. She purchased one for the day before, so while we were waiting to check in in Rome to fly out, we were like, "OH DEAR GOD PLEASE HELP THEM TO SOMEHOW NOT NOTICE" while pretending to reassure her. She made the flight. Those crazy Italians apparently let anyone on a flight.

Paris  =
1. Musee D'Orsay
2. Notre Dame
3. Arc de Triomphe
4. Angelina's (best caffe I've ever been to. Known for having the best hot chocolate in Paris. Best I've ever had. Coco Chanel used to go there.)
5. Louvre Museum
6. Montemartre

----
Now for Londontown....

I knew this would be crazy because Justin had studied there for a year and loves the city more than he may love running water. Laura's cousin and friend, Genessee and Katy, moved there on a whim. They had the idea, bought the flight tickets the next day, and moved in the next month. We stayed in a pretty rank neighborhood. It WAS free though. We really didn't do a lot of touristy stuff.

London=
1. National Gallery
2. Big Ben
3. Parliament
4. Buckingham Palace
5. English pubs...

Fact: it gets dark around 4:30 in London. You could sleep in, lounge around, and once you make it outside, possibly only have a couple hours of daylight. We found ourselves in that situation. We met a lot of Genessee and Katy's friends. Everyone is London was so friendly. They have a sharp wit and even liked us Americans! Wow!

Oh best part of story part two: Karen also bought the wrong flight for the trip home. This time they caught her. She had to spend the day in the Gadwick airport in London and buy a new flight for 150 pounds. She was not a happy camper. THEN when we got back to customs in Italy, we didn't have our permit to stay (because the guy in charge never gave it to us). We were supposed to have that to get back into the country...oops. Somehow they aren't very strict about that either...


Those were my last trips of the semester :(
I will be back in Dublin for a day because our flight goes out from there. I'll be home soon.

Not ready to leave, but ready to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment